In addition to public images, you can also use custom images to quickly create Tencent Cloud CVM instances with the same configurations.
Images use the CBS snapshot service for data storage:
- A free tier of 50 GB is provided for the Chinese mainland regions. For more information, please see Free Tier.
- Upon the creation of a custom image, a snapshot will also be created by default, which may incur snapshot fees. For more information, please see Billing Overview.
- Each region supports a maximum of 10 custom images.
- The following directories and files will be removed.
/home/ubuntu/.bash_history (for the Ubuntu operating system)
- When creating a custom image on a Linux instance, make sure
/etc/fstab does not contain data disk configuration. Otherwise, instances created with this image cannot be launched normally. If the Linux instance that is used to create a custom image with a data disk attached, comment out or delete the relevant data disk configurations in
- The creation process takes ten minutes or more, which depends on the data size of the instance. Please prepare in advance to avoid business impacts.
- CPM 2.0 instances can not be used to create custom images.
- To add a Windows instance to a domain and use a domain account, please execute Sysprep before creating a custom image to ensure that the SID is unique after the instance joins the domain. For more information, please see Ensuring Unique SIDs for CVMs Using Sysprep.
Shut down an instance (optional)
- Log in to the CVM console and check whether the corresponding instance needs to be shut down.
For CVMs created based on public images after July 2018, you can create images without shutting down the instance. For other CVMs, shut down the instance before creating a custom image to ensure that the image has the same environment deployment as the current instance.
- On the instance management page, locate the desired instance, and select More > Instance Status > Shut down, as shown in the following figure:
Create a custom image
- Locate the desired instance, and select More > Create Image, as shown in the following figure:
- In the pop-up Create a custom image window, complete the configuration as instructed below:
- Image name and Image description: Custom name and description.
- Create a system disk image only: If checked, only a system disk image of the instance will be created. Otherwise a snapshot of the data disk (if any) will be created at the same time.
- Click Create image.
You can click Image on the left sidebar to view the creation progress in the "Image" page.
Use the custom image to create an instance (optional)
Select the image you created in the image list, and click Create Instance on the right side to purchase the server with the same custom image, as shown in the following figure:
You can use the
CreateImage API to create a custom image. For more information, please see CreateImage.
Migrating the data on a data disk
If you need to keep the data on the data disk of the original instance when launching a new instance, you can first take a snapshot of the data disk, and then use this data disk snapshot to create a new CBS data disk.
For more information, please see Creating Cloud Disks Using Snapshots.