Last updated: 2019-12-14 11:25:17
Welcome to Tencent Cloud Block Storage!
Cloud Block Storage (CBS) is a highly available, highly reliable, low-cost, customizable network block storage device. For more information, please refer to CBS Product Overview.
Users can perform relevant operations (such as creating elastic cloud storage, creating snapshot or roll backing snapshot etc.) on cloud disk or snapshots with the APIs described in this document by referring to API Overview.
To allow you to get familiar with CBS and snapshot services more quickly, we provide the definitions of some commonly used terms in the following table:
| Term | Full Name |
| --- | --- | --- |
| CBS | Cloud Block Storage
| Description | This refers to distributed block storage independently developed by Tencent Cloud and called Could Storage for short. For more information, please refer to CBS Product Overview.It includes cloud disk purchased with CVM and elastic cloud storage purchased separately. |
| Elastic Cloud Storage | Elastic Cloud Storage
| Description| This refers to the cloud storage which is purchased separately, instead of being purchased with CVM. It has an independent life cycle (billing cycle), and can be flexibly mounted to or unmounted from different CVMs (being mounted to several CVMs at the same time is not supported). It is also called Elastic Block Storage. |
| snapshot | Cloud Disk Snapshot
| Description| Used to save a copy of cloud disk at a certain point in time. You can use the snapshot to restore the cloud disk to the point when the snapshot was created |
2. API QuickStart
To use an elastic cloud storage through APIs, you need to complete the following three steps (For more information, please refer to Examples of Usage of APIs for Elastic Cloud Storage):
- Create an elastic cloud storage: You can use the API CreateCbsStorages (Create Elastic Cloud Storage) to create an elastic cloud storage.
- Mount the elastic cloud storage to the specified CVM: When an elastic cloud storage has been created, use the API AttachCbsStorages (Mount Elastic Cloud Storage) to mount it to the specified CVM.** Note: The term "mount" here refers to assigning the elastic cloud storage to the specified CVM, being equivalent to a hot-plug of a hard disk to the server **.
- Log in to the CVM to initialize the elastic cloud storage: When using the new elastic cloud storage for the first time, you need to perform a series of operations on it, such as partitioning and formatting. For instructions on how to perform the operations, please refer to Data Disk Partitioning and Formatting on Windows System and Data Disk Partitioning, Formatting, Mounting and File System Creation on Linux System . Note: For Linux system, partitioning is not necessary. You can skip the partitioning process and directly proceed to the formatting.
To use the cloud disk snapshot, you need to complete the following two steps (For more information, please refer to Examples of Usage of APIs for Cloud Disk Snapshot):
- Create a cloud disk snapshot: You can use the API CreateSnapshot (create snapshot) to create a snapshot for the specified cloud disk.
- Rollback the cloud disk snapshot: If necessary, you can use the API ApplySnapshot (rollback snapshot) to roll back the snapshot to the specified cloud disk.
3. Usage Restriction
For restrictions on the usage of CBS and snapshot, please refer to CBS Usage Restrictions. For restrictions on specific parameters, please refer to the descriptions of output parameters in the related API's documentation.