Setting Instance Maintenance Period
Last updated: 2020-03-17 17:57:15PDF
Maintenance period is a very important concept for TencentDB for MySQL. To ensure the stability of your TencentDB for MySQL instance, the backend system performs maintenance operations on the instance during the maintenance period from time to time. It is highly recommended that you set an acceptable maintenance period for your business instance, usually during off-peak hours, so as to minimize the potential impact on your business.
In addition, it is recommended that operations involving data migration be performed during the maintenance period too, such as instance specification adjustment, instance version upgrade, and instance kernel upgrade. Currently, the maintenance period concept is supported by master, read-only, and disaster recovery instances.
Take the database instance specification upgrade as an example. As this operation involves data migration, after the upgrade is completed, a very short disconnection from the database lasting for just seconds may occur. When the upgrade is initiated, the switch time can be selected as within the maintenance period, so that the instance specification switch will be enabled within the next maintenance period after the instance upgrade is completed. Please note that when you do so, the switch will not occur immediately after the database specification upgrade is completed; instead, the sync will continue till the instance goes into the next maintenance period when the switch will be performed. In this way, the overall time it takes to upgrade the instance may be extended.
- Before maintenance is carried out for TencentDB for MySQL, notifications will be sent to the contacts configured in your Tencent Cloud account via SMS and email.
- Instance switch is accompanied by a disconnection from the database lasting for just seconds. Please make sure that your business has a reconnection mechanism.
- Log in to the TencentDB for MySQL Console.
- In the instance list, select the instance to be modified and click the instance name or Manage in the "Action" column to enter the instance details page.
- Select Maintenance Info and click Modify.
- In the pop-up dialog box, select the Maintenance Cycle and Maintenance Period as needed and click OK.
If a task is configured to be switched within the maintenance period, but you need to switch it urgently under special circumstances, you can click Switch Now in the "Action" column.
- Immediate switch is applicable to operations involving data migration such as instance specification adjustment, instance version upgrade, and instance kernel upgrade.
- For version upgrade, if an instance is associated with multiple instances, the switch will be performed in the order from disaster recovery instance to read-only instance to master instance.